The parish offers almost unlimited opportunities for parishioners to give some of their time and talents, to help others and to support fellow parishioners. Parishioners of course have many competing demands and concerns to meet, but we hope that most will enjoy the satisfaction of giving in this way, at least occasionally or for a limited period.
Listed below are some of the ways that parishioners help. Please click on any of the links for further information. All need to be undertaken in cooperation with the relevant coordinator; some require prior training or testing; and a few demand vetting by the Disclosure and Barring Service, because vulnerable individuals may be involved.
- Altar server
- Bidding prayer composer A small team take turns to draft each Sunday’s bidding prayers, intended to reflect some of the current concerns of the congregation. After the Creed, the congregation is led in these prayers by one of the readers. If you would like to join this team, please contact the parish secretary.
- Sacristy helper
- Choir member or instrumentalist
- Eucharistic minister
- Reader If you would like to undertake regular Mass readings and bidding prayers, please contact the Reader Coordinator, Anne Donaldson, via the presbytery or one of the Welcome Ministers. You may find it helpful to read our practical advice for Sunday Mass readers. Anne arranges assessment and training for readers when needed, and organises the readers’ rota.
- Welcome minister At Sunday Masses, the welcome ministers greet those arriving at the church, make sure they have all they need to participate, and help to maintain safety and good order for the congregation during the service. They are identified by blue sashes. Please speak to a Sunday Mass Warden (wearing a blue sash with embroidered edging), if you are interested in this ministry.
- Offertory collector
- Church flower arranger
CHRISTIAN GROWTH AND SUPPORT
- Catechist for adult baptism (RCIA) The RCIA is the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults and it is where we welcome and prepare people to enter into full union with the Catholic Church. You can find an explanation of what the RCIA is and all its details here. But we also need good, faithful catechists to pass on the teachings of the Catholic church. If this is something you feel called to do, please let Carmel know and she will give you every assistance and encouragement in this vital and rewarding task. Please click on the link here to contact her email@example.com.
- Catechist for confirmation
- Catechist for First Communion
- Catechist for parents before infant baptism
- Catechist for baptism of older children
- Repository (parish shop) helper
- Safeguarding children, vulnerable adults
- Link with deanery, diocese, other churches, etc
- School governor Appointments to school governing bodies are made by the archbishop, through the Southwark Diocesan Education Commission. Only a small number are appointed to each school, so vacancies do not arise often. If you are interested in becoming a Catholic school governor, please discuss this initially with Fr Michael.
- Helper for social events
- Parish Pastoral Council member
- Visitor housebound/sick Parishioners who are unable to come to the church because of longterm illness or infirmity are still able to receive the Eucharist regularly, thanks to the services of a few of our Eucharistic Ministers. To see the diocesan specification for this role, please click here. If you would like to join this additional ministry as a trained Eucharistic Minister, please speak to Father Michael or Father Henry.
- Heritage Group has the objective of ensuring that the heritage and history of the church and parish is widely appreciated and regularly celebrated. The long list of planned heritage projects is shown here with opportunities for many different talents to be used. If you would like to help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Building maintenance supervision
- Helper with building maintenance work
- Church or grounds cleaner
- Parishioner registration
- Finance & Administration Committee
- Gift Aid help
- Counting of offerings
- Banking of income
- Communication & publicity
- Website design & maintenance
- Stipends, registers etc.